Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day 2 of Training


6/9/09
Gran Bolivar Hotel, Lima

Training was more interesting this morning because it was more interactive. It was still difficult at times to understand and lunch is not until 1 which is really late considering the continental breakfast is some bread and orange juice. Tomorrow, I might order some eggs on the side for 5 soles (about 1.66 US dollars) so I can concentrate past 11. During our lunch break today we went to El Monestario de San Francisco near La Plaza Mayor and went on a cool but creepy tour of los catacumbes. The tunnels ran under most of the monestary and had big pits and bins full of bones. The ceilings were also only about 5'6" high in most parts. Back on the main floor there was a really cool dome that was brought in from Nicaragua back in 1541 when the building was built. There was also a cool library but unfortunately nothing in the monestary was well preserved and the books are all slowly crumbling. The tour was in Spanish and since we were speaking English the guide assumed we did not understand anything, but she was mistaken and most of us understood the conversation she had with another spanish speaking person on the tour about us having no clue what was going on. After the tour we went to a restaurant with hamburguesas or hamburgers. I tried the Mexican burger with guacamole and chips. It was good but the guacamole was a little different and weird and is held to very high standards against my moms homemade guac. We then had training again until 6 and were all exhausted. My roommate took a nap and I forced myself to do my workout. It was not quite as good of a workout as Monday's workout because I was mentally exhausted from 9 hours of listening in Spanish. For dinner we ended up going to a pizza place again because there are mostly touristy places around our hotel and when we ask locals for authentic food they point us to the touristy places. It was good though and pretty cheap. I should go to bed now since it is like 1 in the morning and Thursday we have to be ready at 6 and that night we are all going out for my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment